Monday, February 23, 2009

Repentance

Thanks for checking in, it's a blessing to have you here.

Today's word of wait is: repentance.

Touchy subject, I know. We spoke of it yesterday in church and about being caught in a "sorry cycle" - repeating the same methods of living and actions over and over again only to see the same results. I believe that was Einstein's definition of insanity.


Mark me guilty as charged then, with a plea of insanity. This past week has taught me a lot. Not only this past week, but the past few weeks. Everything that is spoken in or about my life has coincided with the message that God has brought me on a weekly and/or daily basis. It's truly humbling and amazing. I find myself believing that this hopefully means I am on my chosen path by God. Unfortunately, that path and its efforts have brought about pain, selfishness, and hurt from my past. I have broken down relationships and I have brought about things I lied to myself and others about. 

When these things surface my first reaction is a gut-twisting pain that thinks, "How did I live with myself? How did I allow myself to literally be an active part of someone's life with a role of destructing either them or myself?" How? The absence of God. 

Dr. Del Tackett teaches in The Truth Project that evil is merely the absence of God. Wow. Has that been unveiled to me boldly within the past weeks. I can't believe the things I use to put myself through, let alone others. I was about as selfish as they become.


So, how does this tie in to repentance you ask? Easy. You MUST repent in order to gain clarity and to clean your slate so that God may rewrite the instructions for your life on that very same one. I know, it's sounds so preachy. But it's a truth. One of the first Christian shirts I bought as a teenager from Mardel (anyone remember those stores?) was a parody of the Chuck Taylor logo and it said "Confess - All Sins - 1 John 1:9." Get it? Converse All-Star? Yes? Okay, moving on.

Repentance goes beyond truth. Repentance is something we must wait for, to resolve to past hurt that doesn't belong in our lives anymore. And once it has occurred, or at least have an attempt thrown at it, then the wait truly begins. Patience will unfold as you wait for the acceptance and regaining trust that you broke with yourself, others, and God. But that's the beauty! Though you hurt your Father, He wants to know the truth. He will not punish you because His son, our Savior, died for ALL of our sins upon the cross. He simply wants to have you with a clear conscience so that He may bring your clarity into the path He wants for you. See clearly down the path, and treasures and happiness will unfold in which you or I cannot begin to fathom.

I'm out. My brain and heart is spent. This journey is a constant struggle, but one that every heart must go through to truly belong to the One that can bring peace. Listen to the current music selection, you'll hear my heart.

Current Music: Sanctus Real's "We Need Each Other"; Track: "Whatever You're Doing (Something Heavenly)"

No comments: