Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Tenacity

Today's word of wait is: tenacity.

That's a puddle of pain. Wait. Sounds like a band name...let's just say sweat. Keith...Sweat?

It's funny how little things in life can deter an even bigger event. For instance, this morning was much like every morning of my recent life. I wake up, I eat breakfast, and go work out before I start the day. 

While working out I love to have music that pushes me to the limit, which is in no way an Eagles' reference. In fact, any genre, or combination thereof, that include the words "metal" or "core" in the title usually does the job. 

I was doing lat pull-downs today and had August Burns Red's "The Eleventh Hour" blaring. 

"Nothing stands between a man and..." SKIP! Next Song.

"Huh? Crap..."

So I started the song again to build up to that same part I love for my fourth set.

"Nothing stands between a..." SKIP!

"DANG!"

It had skipped to the next song once again. Instead of letting the frustrating moment get to me, I found solace in starting the song over once again. Yeah, yeah. You get it. Don't give up.

Don't be so prideful that you're afraid of starting over. Pride can destroy civilizations, and has before. There's a big difference between pride and confidence. If you are truly confident in who you are, there's no reason to get frustrated - only reason to laugh at the mistakes you've made. 

Tenacity is not giving up until a desired outcome is reached and overturning all obstacles to reach that outcome. The most simple of actions can lead to a discouraging moment, but if you have the tenacity to keep going, in a fraction of a second that moment will literally be in the past. Here's a situation I find to explain past hurt and pain in a view that even an audience of children can interpret and understand:

BONK! Rafiki hits Simba over the head with his cane.

Simba: "Ow! Why'd you do that?"
Rafiki: "It doesn't matter! It's in the past"
Simba: "Well it hurt..."
Rafiki: "Ah yes! The past can hurt."


You're probably saying, "Gee Clay. This is common sense stuff. We know this." 

It is one thing to know. It is another to practice. Try it today. Just try to let all things brush past you and not deter you from what you want to accomplish within the next 24 hours. Then work up to, oh...the next 3 days. Then a week. Then it soon becomes a habit. And one worth having, in my opinion.

Having a firm foundation and willingness to accept consequences is also key for a tenacious attitude. For Biblical references, I think these verses say it best:

Philippians 4:13 - I can do anything through Him who gives me strength.
Revelation 2:5 - Remember the heights from where you have fallen. Repent, and go back to what you were doing at first.

Even from a non-Biblical, non-believer stand point, one could see that those words translate into having a firm belief system - and I'm not here to knock whatever you have set in place. Just let those words sink in a bit. Never be afraid to admit you're wrong, because when you have to, know that you will always have a net. Always. 

Mine = God. Yours = ? 

Current Music: August Burns Red's "Messengers"; Track: All tracks.

No comments: