Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Granny Smith Or Red Delicioso?

I'm hoping everyone's enjoying what's been said so far. Hopefully some of it is helpful, or even amusing. If you laugh at what I have to say, then joke's on you - because you're the one being entertained.

How do you like them apples?

Ok. So, you don't. Just say so next time.

I learned another valuable lesson today. Ambiguity, while somewhat permissible most of the time, can really do you in. There's a fine art to practicing strategic ambiguity and apparently I haven't mastered it quite yet. 

The set-up: I was at a luncheon today with an old internship supervisor and well...an industry person. Said industry person was poking and prodding around how much I was aware of the company that he worked for and what they did. I gave my best confident answer and WHAMMY! Hit it right on the head. Then the conversation turned against my favor. To make sure an avoid saying anything that might make me sound inferior, I said almost nothing. Leaving the poor guy thinking, "Why, oh why, did I make this appointment today?"

It's ok. As we discussed earlier in the day, everything belongs in the past. Hopefully, I'm practicing modesty in thought and he wishes he would have brought me on board right then and there. Doubt it, but maybe.

So, what's to be said? I stuck to my guns - yes. Quietly, but I did. I'm still learning how to balance sounding like I've accomplished something in this world and yet, stay true to my humble roots. I mean. Sometimes credit it due where need be. And if I happen to give myself credit for accomplishments in a vocal manner out loud in front of others, should it always be considered bragging? Or merely informing? Hmm. I don't like braggers. And I don't plan to be one. So I'll stick with being an informant. I suppose it's all in the tone and essence of the conversation. If anything, I attribute any talent or intelligence I have to my Father. The other father I get the shortness and male-pattern baldness from, but he's a great guy, too.

Speaking of, I'm going to go say my thanks to the big man upstairs. He's got a lot to hear from me tonight. 

G'night.

Current Music: Mute Math's Self-Titled Album; Track: "Chaos"

No comments: